Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Were we dupped?

According to a post by the Annoyed Librarian, we all were duped into thinking that there would be plenty of librarian positions out there for the taking, especially when the older ones retired. Do you think that ALA and the library schools duped eager students just for money? Of is the Annoyed Librarian wrong? Read this article and let me know.

As for my own experience, there were a lot of positions around the D.C. area when I was looking. I applied to a ton of them, but was only interviewed for two. The others tossed my application because I didn't have my degree in hand. Would they consider me now?

I'm now in a position where they hired me because I was fresh out of school, eager to learn and to please. I was the only person they didn't meet in person (phone interview and video conference) but I was hired. I am head of youth services in this small branch, with one assistant, so I am confident that I will be able to compete well when I need to move on. But you need to get that first job to feel this way. And it was nerve-wracking to think that the job market wasn't as advertised to me by my school and by ALA. I hunted everyday for openings, practiced interview questions, read and re-read my resume until my eyes strained. I don't know what you can do differently, there isn't much.

My advice, though, is to apply as early as 8-6 months before you NEED the job, because we are talking about government agencies here. It took 8 months for them to even call me for a library assistant job back in Texas. Hiring freezes are a reality, so be prepared.

So anyway, read the article. Form your own opinion. Proceed with caution.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi

I read this post 2 times. It is very useful.

Pls try to keep posting.

Let me show other source that may be good for community.

Source: Library assistant interview questions

Best regards
Jonathan.